Think you have what it takes to work in the UK’s most exciting energy supplier?
Location – Musselburgh, outside Edinburgh
Who are People’s Energy?
People’s Energy are an ethical gas and electricity supplier, created by the people, for the people. The company was funded by the public, we offer transparency, green electricity, and we give our members back 75% of the profits we make.
While we are growing fast, we need to make sure we are at all times compliant and meet regulatory requirements. This is where you come in…
Purpose of the role
The purpose of the role is to ensure that People’s Energy are in compliance with supply licence conditions and that other regulatory and legal requirements are met at all times.
Reporting to the Senior Operations Manager, you will be responsible for reviewing all business processes to ensure they are fully compliant, and to monitor and respond to any regulatory changes in line with industry requirements. You will be scanning the industry for changes and regularly auditing our practices to identify and deal with potential commercial and legal risks and opportunities. You will provide regulation and compliance support around implementing new products and processes. You will also be the key point of contact with the Ombudsman, actively managing the relationship and ensuring that our internal complaints process is managed well and meeting Ofgem requirements. In addition, you will monitor and respond to requests for information and regulatory and technical submissions and reports imposed by government, Ofgem, and other regulatory and industry bodies. Finally, you will provide regular reports for Senior Management around our level of compliance, including recommendations for improvements to ensure we are on the front foot in terms of regulation and compliance.
To succeed in role, you will need to work closely with both the Membership Accounts (back office) and Membership Experience (customer service) Departments.
You will need to have extensive knowledge of the gas and electricity industry governance framework. You need to have demonstrated an ability to quickly and accurately digest high volumes of information issued by the various industry organisations, to prioritise and lead action around the areas of greatest risk and importance. You would also need to ensure that there is a shared understanding across the business of key regulatory requirements and their impact on the business areas.
What we need from you
- Extensive compliance and regulatory experience
- Demonstrable experience of translating regulatory requirements into actions within a business environment
- Experience in reporting and creating submissions to regulatory bodies
- Credible internal auditor experience
- Strong understanding of the energy industry and regulatory issues, Ofgem regulation and requirement from other energy bodies, including Elexon, XOServe, National Grid
- An analytical and methodical approach, with a strong attention to detail
- The ability to prioritise high volumes of tasks and information, delivering high quality work to deadline
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to influence others and bring them with them, including confidence to work with and challenge stakeholders up to board level.
- Education to degree level
- In addition, commercial awareness, relationship building skills, and management/leadership skills are desirable but not essential.
What we will give you in return
Why work for us? We lead the way when it comes to looking after our employees. We offer professional development and coaching, along with a package of company pension and 25 days’ holiday plus 8 bank holidays. People’s Energy is committed to equal opportunities and actively promotes diversity and equality.
Your work location will be office based in Musselburgh.
Pre-employment checks: All offers of employment are conditional and successful candidates will be required to provide 2 professional references before they commence their employment with People’s Energy. Other security screening, such as background and financial checks may also be expected as part of the on-boarding process.