Emergency and safety

What to do in an emergency

Find out what to do:

  • If you can smell gas
  • If you’re worried about carbon monoxide
  • If you’re experiencing a power cut

 

If you can smell gas

 

Call the National Grid Emergency Helpline for free on 0800 111 999. Their lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

 

Make sure to stay safe by taking these steps:

  • Put out any naked flames, such as candles
  • Open all the doors and windows
  • Don’t light matches or cigarette lighters
  • Don’t turn on light switches or anything electrical on or off, including your mobile phone
  • If you can, turn your gas supply off at the meter, unless the meter is in the cellar. Leave it switched off until you’re sure it’s safe to put back on

 

If you’re worried about carbon monoxide

 

If you’re concerned that fumes containing carbon monoxide may be coming from a gas appliance, please call the National Grid Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999. Their lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

 

If you’re experiencing a power cut

 

If you’ve lost your electricity supply, there may be a power cut affecting your local area. Contact your local network operator by calling 105 from a UK landline or mobile. It’s free of charge.

 But, before you call:

  • Check if your neighbour’s power is out. If it is, there’s likely a problem with your local network and you should call 105
  • Check your fuse box and trip switches. It’s possible that there’s a blown fuse – this is often the case when you’ve only lost power in some parts of your home