Extra help for our members

What to do when an account holder has passed away

If you're dealing with the loss of a loved one, our team are here to help. We'll do all we can to make handling the energy account as simple and stress-free as it possible.

When you're dealing with a bereavement, there's a few things you can provide us with to get the energy account sorted out:

  • A copy of the death certificate and details of executor, or the person responsible for the property moving forward. Please send these to bereavements@peoplesenergy.co.uk
  • Up-to-date meter readings
  • Contact details for whoever is taking over the property, where available
  • The bank details of the person who will be taking over the account


What happens next

Once we have this information, we'll generate a bill, using the meter readings you've provided.

We know that it all might feel too much to deal with right now. We're happy to work with someone you've nominated to manage things on your behalf. Just let us know if there's someone you'd like us to handle this with instead.

If the person you've nominated is taking responsibility for the account, but not actually
paying the bills, then we'll need proof of Power of Attorney, and the relevant bank


You can contact our team for help at any time

During this difficult time, our team will provide whatever support they can.

You can reach us by phone on 0131 285 5510, or by emailing bereavements@peoplesenergy.co.uk. Or, use the yellow livechat bubble at the bottom right of your screen to livechat with one of our advisors.

For full details, please see our Bereavement policy.