Smart meter installations during the Covid-19 pandemic
Last updated: 14 January 2021
We’re installing smart meters in England and Wales only right now
Smart meter installations in Scotland are on hold, except for emergency maintenance
In line with guidance from the Scottish Government, as of 14 January, we have paused smart meter installations in Scotland.
If you have a smart meter installation booked, our smart meter installation partners Magnum Utilities will be in touch with you to confirm cancellation of your appointment. We’ll get in contact with you to re-book your appointment to have a smart meter fitted once restrictions on non-essential maintenance and construction in Scotland are lifted.
Emergency maintenance and repairs on smart meters will continue to go ahead. If you think your smart meter may be causing a problem with your gas and electricity supply, please contact our member services team:
- Via livechat (just click the yellow bubble at the bottom of this screen)
- By phone: 0131 285 5510
We’re still installing smart meters in England and Wales, under strict safety measures
For the time being, we're continuing to install smart meters in England and Wales.
Our installations are carried out by Magnum Utilities, with strict guidelines in place to ensure your smart meter installation is safe, and carried out with minimum contact. Your engineer will:
- Before entering the property, ask if you or anyone in your household have symptoms of coronavirus, are self-isolating, shielding, elderly, vulnerable, or are otherwise uncomfortable with going ahead with your smart meter appointment. If necessary, we’ll reschedule your installation for another time.
- Limit the amount of time they spend in your home, and always keep a 2-metre distance.
- Wear full Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including a visor or a mask, disposable gloves, and shoe covers.
- Clean down any areas with antiseptic wipes before and after the installation.
- Frequently wash their hands, or sanitise their hands using anti-bacterial gel.
- Leave an in-home display (IHD) for your smart meter. Instructions for use will be emailed to you separately.
For the safety of you and your engineer, we also ask that you please:
- Leave all internal doors open to minimise contact with door handles.
- Wherever possible, maintain a 2-metre distance from your engineer. If you can, please go to another room in your home for the duration of the installation.
You won’t be asked to sign your engineer’s tablet at the end of the installation.
Find out more about Magnum Utilities' Covid-19 safety protocols.
If you’ve booked a smart meter to be fitted and you or anyone in your household is displaying symptoms of coronavirus, or is self-isolating, please get in touch to cancel your appointment. We’ll reschedule your appointment to go ahead at a later date.